If you love Italian sausage and peppers, then you definitely need to try it in a sandwich. You can also make sausage and peppers for dinner, and then use the leftovers for the sandwiches the next day. Either way, you’re going to love this recipe. Feel free to serve it with our truffle fries.
Authentic Italian Sausage, Peppers, and Onions Sandwiches
A luxurious Authentic Italian Sausage, Peppers, and Onions Sandwich recipe which pairs juicy sausages with a decadent blend of peppers, in a toasty bun.
- 4 Sandwich Rolls, sliced in half lengthwise
- 4 Italian Sausages
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, seeded and sliced
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil, extra virgin
- ½ cup Red Wine
- 1 Onion, large, sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 teaspoon Basil, dried
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- pinch Nutmeg
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Water, as needed
- Butter, melted
- Italian Seasoning, as needed
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat extra virgin olive oil.
- Cook the sausages well on each side until they are brown. Set them aside.
- In the same skillet add the sliced onions, cooking until lightly golden.
- Add all the sliced bell peppers and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in red wine and cook until it reduces.
- Season with basil, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Mix in tomato paste.
- Add a little bit of water to thin out the sauce. Stir well to combine.
- Reduce the heat and cook for 20 – 25 mins.
- Add extra water as needed.
- Return the sausages to the pan and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler while waiting for the sausages to complete.
- Brush the inside of the sandwich rolls with melted butter and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Toast under the broiler for 1-2 minutes in a baking pan.
- Spoon sausage, peppers, and onions into the toasted rolls, serve and enjoy.
- Serve with fries.
- If you like spicy taste, add a pinch of chili powder or replace green bell pepper with jalapeno pepper.
Calories: 722kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 48g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 24g | Cholesterol: 85mg | Sodium: 1229mg | Potassium: 740mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1295IU | Vitamin C: 124mg | Calcium: 107mg | Iron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Please rate it above!
If you like this post, then we definitely recommend checking out our Sausage Bread Recipes post.