Beef spezzatino is a type of hearty Italian stew. This meaty dish doesn’t have a ton of hands-on cooking time, allowing you to let it sit and develop its flavors on its own. Your house will smell so good by the time this beef spezzatino is ready, so roll up your sleeves and make this decadent Italian beef stew.
Beef Spezzatino Recipe
A luxurious Beef Spezzatino recipe which pairs beef and vegetables with a decadent seasoned broth.
- 2 pounds Stew Beef, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup Yukon Potatoes, peeled and cubed into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup Carrots, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 Onion, large, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
- ½ cup Mushrooms
- 4 cups Beef Stock
- 3 cups Water
- ½ cup Red Wine
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil, divided
- 2 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 3 sprigs Rosemary
- 3 to 4 Sage Leaves
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Start by dusting the beef pieces with flour, salt, and pepper. Shake off the excess and set it aside.
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil on medium-high heat in a deep pot.
- Add the dusted beef pieces to the pot and cook until all sides of the beef pieces are browned.
- Remove the beef and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pot and start sautéing the onions until translucent.
- Toss in the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste, rosemary, bay leaves, and sage to the pot and let them cook for a minute.
- Throw the browned beef into the pot and stir everything.
- Deglaze the pot with red wine and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Next, pour the beef stock and water into the pot.
- Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pot with a lid and let it simmer on medium-low for 1 ½ hour to 2 hours or until the meat is almost tender.
- Add the potatoes, mushrooms, and carrots to the pot and let them cook until meat and vegetables are tender (about 15 to 30 minutes).
- Finally, serve the beef spezzatino hot along with crusty bread on the side.
- Keep an eye on the water level and add a little more water if the stew thickens and the meat is not tender. If the stew is too watery, cook it on high heat uncovered to reduce it.
- When adding potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms, make sure to discard the rosemary spring, and sage and bay leaves.
- Taste test the beef spezzatino just before serving, and adjust the seasonings if necessary.
Calories: 593kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 58g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 141mg | Sodium: 703mg | Potassium: 1778mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 5476IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 102mg | Iron: 7mg
Tried this recipe?Please rate it above!
If you like this post, then we definitely recommend checking out our Lamb and Pea Spezzatino Recipe post.