Focaccina is an Italian appetizer that we absolutely love. This version of focaccina features caramelized onions and provolone cheese. It is an addicting cheesy bread that goes perfectly with soups, such as lamb spezzatino. If you’re in need of a decadent, savory bread recipe, you have to try this caramelized onion focaccina.
Caramelized Onion Focaccina Recipe
A luxurious Caramelized Onion Focaccina recipe that pairs homemade dough with a decadent onion and cheese topping.
- 6 cups Bread Flour
- 2 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
- ½ tbsp Sugar, granulated
- 2 ¾ cups Water, warm
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil, extra virgin
- 2 ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ White Onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil, extra virgin
- 2 tsp Oregano, dried
- 6 ounces Provolone Cheese, cubed
- Stir the warm water, sugar, and yeast in a bowl.
- Let the yeast activate for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Combine the salt and flour in a stand mixer.
- Attach the dough hook, start the mixer on low speed, and slowly pour in the yeast and water mixture.
- Once it starts turning into a dough, drizzle in the olive oil.
- Stop the mixer, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and turn on the machine to medium speed for 10 minutes so everything gets well incorporated.
- Transfer the dough to a glass bowl and add a little olive oil to grease the focaccina dough.
- Cover the bowl with a light kitchen towel and place it in a warm place for an hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Punch the dough and fold it over a few times.
- Place the dough on a greased pan. Stretch and flatten the dough and let it rest and rise for another 15 minutes.
- Stretch the dough once more and let it proof for 45 minutes.
- While you’re waiting, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice up the onion and sauté them in a pan with olive oil until they soften and start to turn translucent.
- Once the dough doubles in height, make indents in the focaccina with your fingers.
- Drizzle more olive oil and brush it evenly across the surface. Sprinkle the salt and oregano on top, then disperse the caramelized onions and cheese to your liking.
- Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Feel free to use any soft white cheese for this focaccina recipe.
- Cut into squares and enjoy your caramelized onion focaccina with your favorite soup or pasta dish.
Calories: 523kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 889mg | Potassium: 168mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 198IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 188mg | Iron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Please rate it above!
If you like this post, then we definitely recommend checking out our Lamb and Pea Spezzatino Recipe post