Italian marinara sauce is a traditional Italian sauce for pasta that you can prepare from scratch in under an hour. The main components include fresh tomatoes, herbs, and two always-present ingredients in Italian cuisine – onion and garlic. Use this delicious sauce for your favorite pasta or chicken cutlet dishes. Feel free to add anchovies, capers, or black olives to this marinara sauce if you need a little something extra.
Italian Marinara Sauce Recipe from Scratch (with Fresh Tomatoes)
A luxurious Italian Marinara Sauce Recipe from Scratch that pairs onions, garlic, and basil with a decadent fresh tomato sauce.
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil, extra virgin
- 1 Onion, large, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 4 lb Ripe Tomatoes, cut into chunks
- ½ teaspoon Oregano, dried
- 10 Fresh Basil Leaves
- ½ tablespoon Fresh Parsley, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Place tomato chunks into a food processor and process them a few times.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and sauté until lightly golden.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, basil leaves, and parsley, then season with oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the marinara sauce to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and cover with a lid.
- Let it simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite pasta and enjoy.
- If you feel like it is missing something, a teaspoon of Italian seasoning.
- You are welcome to add a pinch of chili powder to further enhance the sauce.
Calories: 158kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 25mg | Potassium: 1130mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 3878IU | Vitamin C: 65mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Please rate it above!
If you like this post, then we definitely recommend checking out our Mezzelune with Marinara Sauce post.