Lasagna al forno offers a delicious combination of flavors consisting of lasagna noodles, meat sauce, cheese, vegetables, and other simple ingredients. Our Italian sausage lasagna al forno recipe is easy and quick to prepare, making it an excellent choice for a family dinner no matter the season. The secret to this meal lies in its simplicity, and best of all, it tastes just as good as leftovers the next day.
Italian Sausage Lasagna Al Forno
A luxurious Italian Sausage Lasagna Al Forno recipe that pairs layers of Italian sausage and seasoned tomato sauce with decadent ricotta and mozzarella cheese topping.
- ½ lb. Lasagna Noodles, dry
- 1 lb Italian Sausage, ground
- 1 White Onion, roughly chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Bell Pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 cup Shredded Carrots
- 3 cups Tomatoes, canned
- ¼ cup Chicken Broth
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 2 cups Mozzarella, divided
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Salt, to taste
- Fill a large pot with water and add salt. Bring the water to a boil and add lasagna noodles, cooking according to package instructions or until al dente.
- In the meantime, add the sausage to a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Use a spatula to break up the sausage and cook until brown.
- Add onions and bell peppers with a touch of salt, and cook for another five minutes until the onions are tender.
- Next, add garlic and shredded carrots. Cook for a couple of minutes until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add canned tomatoes, dried basil, and chicken broth, turning the heat to medium-high. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes until the liquid evaporates. Once done, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Get a large bowl and combine the mozzarella cheese, ricotta, a pinch of salt, and Italian seasoning.
- Spread a layer of sausage in the bottom of an 8″x8″ pan, then add a layer of lasagna noodles and a layer of cheese mixture.
- Do another layer of lasagna sheets, another layer of sausage, and a layer of noodles.
- Spread cheese mixture on top, cover with tinfoil and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes at 375 degrees F, then remove foil and broil for another 3 to 5 minutes until the cheese starts to bubble.
- Once done, remove from oven, allow to rest for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.
- You can either use spicy or mildly spicy Italian sausage.
- Feel free to use red, yellow, or green bell peppers.
- Monterey Jack cheese can be substituted for mozzarella cheese.
- You can also substitute ricotta with cottage cheese.
Calories: 934kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 57g | Saturated Fat: 25g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 22g | Cholesterol: 162mg | Sodium: 1320mg | Potassium: 1006mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 7871IU | Vitamin C: 60mg | Calcium: 484mg | Iron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Please rate it above!
If you like this post, then we definitely recommend checking out our Lasagna Recipe without Cooking Noodles post.