Pastitsio is a traditional Greek lasagna dish prepared with fragrant ground beef sauce, pasta, bechamel sauce, and feta cheese. It is a layered pasta dish, just like Italian lasagna, or “pasticcio,” but in a different way, and also prepared with a different type of pasta and cheese. Its name derives from the Latin word “pasticium”, meaning something prepared with pasta.
Pastitsio is a delicious main dish you can prepare in advance and serve for any occasion. Usually, it is prepared with bucatini pasta, but you can use other types of pasta like penne or ziti.
Pastitsio Recipe (Greek Lasagna)
A luxurious Pastitsio (Greek Lasagna) recipe that pairs a meat sauce and creamy feta and Kefalotyri in a decadent pasta bake.
- 14 oz. bucatini pasta
- 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cups bechamel sauce
- Kefalotyri, grated, to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 28 oz. ground beef
- 1 onion, large, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 14 oz tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Cooking spray
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and cook until lightly golden.
- Add minces garlic and cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned, often stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Blend with wine and cook until it evaporates.
- Stir in tomato paste, bay leaves, and chopped peeled tomatoes.
- Season with sugar, salt, and black pepper. Stir well to combine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and cook for one hour.
- Preheat the oven at 350°F.
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water and drain it approx 3 minutes before the time indicated on the package instructions.
- Place egg whites and feta cheese in a large mixing bowl. Add drained pasta and mix to combine.
- Spray the baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add a layer of pasta, a layer of meat sauce, and another layer of pasta.
- Top with bechamel sauce.
- Sprinkle with grated kefalotyri cheese.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Use a 10* 14-inch baking dish.
- You can combine crumbled feta cheese and grated kefalotyri as a top layer. Or, if you like crispy top layer, combine grated cheese with breadcrumbs.
Calories: 560kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 260mg | Potassium: 580mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 506IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Please rate it above!
If you like this post, then we definitely recommend checking out our Pasta Bake Recipes post.