‘Pasta cakes’ are just like ‘pasta bakes’, except that they hold their shape when you cut into them, much like a cake would. This can be done by adding in ingredients that act like a binder: for example eggs and bread cubes.
This is our spaghetti version of a pasta cake and it can be prepared in no time for a quick and easy dinner. It is a perfect combination of tasty flavors and different textures. Spaghetti with meatballs in red sauce is one of the best recipes with pasta, and baking it until there’s a crunchy crust of Parmigiano forms will make this version of the recipe one of your favorite ones.
Spaghetti Pasta Cake Recipe
A luxurious spaghetti pasta cake recipe that pairs handmade meatballs with a decadent tomato sauce.
- 10 oz. spaghetti
- 15 oz. ground beef
- 1 ½ cup crushed tomatoes (preferably imported from Italy), canned
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1¼ cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 2 slices bread, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- dried oregano, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, extra virgin
- fresh basil leaves, (optional)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, combine ground meat, tablespoons of grated Parmigiano, egg, bread cubes, garlic powder, parsley, and oregano to get a homogeneous mixture.
- Form meatballs in the desired size.
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and finely chopped onion. Cook and stir for 5 minutes over medium heat until golden brown.
- Add tomato sauce and cook for an additional 5 to 8 minutes.
- Now add meatballs, reduce the heat, and cook covered for 10 minutes. Stir gently to turn over the meatballs and continue cooking uncovered.
- Season with salt and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes until the meatballs are cooked.
- Cook spaghetti as indicated on the package instructions. Drain them 2 minutes before the time indicated on the package.
- Transfer the meatballs onto a plate.
- Combine pasta with sauce.
- Transfer the pasta into a round baking dish.
- Top with meatballs and grated Parmigiano.
- Bake for a couple of minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Garnish with basil leaves.
- Serve and enjoy.
- The cooking time of meatballs will depend on their size.
- For more flavor, add a pinch of nutmeg and paprika powder into the ground meat mixture.
Calories: 626kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 838mg | Potassium: 694mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 590IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 301mg | Iron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Please rate it above!
If you like this post, then we definitely recommend checking out our Pasta Cakes post.