Italian Mostaccioli is a type of pasta similar to penne but smooth in texture. In Italy, this type of pasta is also called “penne lisce“ or “smooth penne“. Today we bring you a mostaccioli pasta recipe, prepared with Italian sausage and green bell peppers.
Authentic Italian Mostaccioli
An authentic Italian Mostaccioli recipe that pairs mostaccioli with Italian sausage.
- 10 oz mostaccioli
- ½ lb Italian sausage, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 green bell pepper , seeded and diced
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2/3 cup provolone, grated
- 1 cup mozzarella, dry, grated
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaf, chopped
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain three minutes before the time indicated on the package instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and brown the sausage on both sides.
- Remove the sausage.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil over medium heat in the same skillet.
- Add onion and cook until lightly golden.
- Stir in green bell pepper and garlic. Cook until softened.
- Add in browned sausage and cook for one minute.
- Stir in cooked pasta and marinara sauce. Stir well to combine.
- Transfer the mixture into a baking dish and sprinkle with grated cheeses.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped basil leaves.
- Add fresh basil leaves to marinara sauce to enhance the flavor.
Calories: 755kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 85mg | Sodium: 1531mg | Potassium: 864mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1099IU | Vitamin C: 36mg | Calcium: 436mg | Iron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Please rate it above!
If you like this post, then we definitely recommend checking out our Pasta Bake Recipes post.