Cheesy spinach panzerotti is delicious and easy to prepare. This appetizer is great to serve at a potluck party with friends and family. All you need are a few ingredients to make this cheesy goodness. Any cheese lover or vegetarian will thank you for making this decadent panzerotti for them.
Cheesy Spinach Panzerotti
A luxurious Cheesy Spinach Panzerotti recipe that pairs a creamy spinach filling with a decadent homemade dough.
For the Dough
- 1 ¼ cup All-Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Water, warm
- ½ Tbsp White Sugar, granulated
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Yeast, instant
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil, extra virgin
- 1 teaspoon Salt
For the Filling
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil, extra virgin
- ½ cup Mozzarella Cheese, sliced
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 4 cups Baby Spinach
- ¼ cup Heavy Cream
- ¼ cup Tomato Purée
- ¼ teaspoon Oregano, dried
- ¼ teaspoon Thyme, dried
- ¼ cup Marinara Sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
For the Dough
- In a bowl, add the water, sugar, and yeast. Whisk thoroughly and leave it for five minutes until foamy.
- After five minutes, add olive oil, salt, and flour to the bowl. Knead the dough for about five minutes until the dough becomes smooth.
- Remove dough from the bowl and drizzle olive oil in the bowl, coat using a brush. Return the dough to the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rise at room temperature for 2 hours, or until doubled in size.
For the Filling
- To make the filling, pat the fresh mozzarella cheese dry using a paper towel, then slice into one inch pieces and transfer to a separate bowl, set aside.
- Pour oil into a skillet over medium heat, add spinach and cook it down until it wilts.
- Add tomato puree and stir, allowing it to cook for a few minutes.
- Season the mixture with herbs and pour in heavy cream. Cook for 50 to 60 seconds until you get a thick, creamy mixture. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Once the dough is ready, lightly punch it down and divide into eight equal portions. Take one portion and roll it down into a circular ball. Repeat the same with other portions.
- Then roll each ball onto a floured cutting board, making them about ¼ inch thick.
- Put the spinach mixture in the center of the dough, add mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, then fold it in half.
- Secure the edges by pinching it with a fork.
- Arrange panzerotti on the prepared baking sheet, brush marinara sauce on top (optional), then transfer to a preheated oven (425 degrees F) and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once done, let the panzerottis cool for five minutes and serve.
- You can use premade pizza dough if you don’t have time to make homemade dough.
- Store any leftovers by cooling them thoroughly, then place them in an air-tight container and leave them in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Calories: 206kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 562mg | Potassium: 201mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1691IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 137mg | Iron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Please rate it above!
If you like this post, then we definitely recommend checking out our Fried Panzerotti post.