The very best in Italian street food is here, a deep fried, savory pastry filled with tomato sauce, oregano, and mozzarella, known as fried panzerotti. Panzerotti is an absolutely divine snack for any time of the day. You can customize the flavor of this panzerotti recipe to satisfy any type of craving.
Fried Panzerotti Recipe
A luxurious Fried Panzerotti recipe which pairs a homemade dough with a decadent cheesy tomato filling.
Cheese and Tomato Filling
- 1 tbsp Butter, unsalted
- 1 Onion, roughly chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, finely diced
- 1 ½ cups Cherry Tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp Basil, finely chopped
- Combine the water, salt, yeast, sugar and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Place the pasta flour into a mixing bowl, then pour in the water and yeast mixture.
- Bring the dough together and knead for 10 minutes.
- Return the dough to the mixing bowl and cover with a kitchen cloth, placing the bowl in a warm area. Let it rest for 90 minutes.
- While the dough rises, prepare the cheese and tomato filling. Place a saucepan on medium heat and add the butter.
- Once the butter has melted, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cherry tomatoes, bringing it to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat then add the shredded mozzarella and basil.
- Dust a work surface with flour and turn out the dough, dividing it into 10 even pieces.
- Roll each individual piece of dough into a ball and allow the dough to rise for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, use a rolling pin to flatten each piece of dough into a 6-inch disk.
- Fill the middle of each disk with two tablespoons of the cheese and tomato filling then fold in half. Crimp the edges with a fork to ensure they stay sealed.
- Pour the canola oil into a saucepan and preheat to 350F, then deep fry each panzerotti for 2 minutes.
- Serve the fried panzerotti garnished with fresh basil, cherry tomatoes and baby mozzarella.
- Incorporate other filling ingredients to your liking.
- If you have any leftovers, you can reheat these panzerotti in a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
Calories: 8913kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 64g | Fat: 963g | Saturated Fat: 98g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 255g | Monounsaturated Fat: 593g | Trans Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 179mg | Sodium: 3797mg | Potassium: 1098mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 2740IU | Vitamin C: 61mg | Calcium: 1227mg | Iron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Please rate it above!
If you like this post, then we definitely recommend checking out our Erbazzone Recipe post.