Mezzelune is a type of fresh pasta filled with different kinds of ingredients, very similar to ravioli. We chose a traditional filling with spinach and ricotta, which pairs perfectly with simple marinara sauce. Also, you can prepare different kinds of fillings like a combination of smoked salmon and fresh herbs, ground meat with chili paste, or a simple prosciutto and cheese filling. Feel free to also use these fresh pasta sheets to prepare lasagne or ravioli.
Mezzelune with Marinara Sauce
A luxurious mezzelune recipe that pairs homemade mezzelune with decadent spinach and ricotta filling.
- 4 eggs
- 3 ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 oz spinach, cooked and chopped
- 6 oz. ricotta
- 3 tablespoons Grana Padano cheese, grated
- pinch nutmeg
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 14 oz tomato puree
- salt, to taste
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a saucepan with garlic clove over medium heat.
- Add tomato puree and season with salt and sugar.
- Let it simmer for 20 minutes. Remove garlic clove.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and eggs. Knead shortly until you obtain a homogeneous dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling by combining spinach and ricotta with grated cheese, salt, pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg. Mix well with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Divide the dough into two parts and use a pasta machine to work the dough into two ½ inch thick rectangles.
- Use a round ravioli cutter to cut 2-inch disks.
- Add a teaspoon of filling in the center of each disk and close it on itself to obtain a half-moon shape.
- Cook mezzelune in boiling salted water for approx. 4 minutes.
- Add mezzelune to the sauce, and toss gently to coat.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Remember to press well the edges of the disks to prevent them from opening up during cooking.
Calories: 705kcal | Carbohydrates: 99g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 188mg | Sodium: 205mg | Potassium: 789mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2956IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 215mg | Iron: 9mg
Tried this recipe?Please rate it above!
If you like this post, then we definitely recommend checking out our Black Truffle Pasta post.