Polenta is a staple in much of Northern Italy. It’s made with cornmeal, water, salt, and butter, or olive oil. The polenta can be eaten as it is done in much of Northern Italy, but there are many other ways to enjoy this delicious dish that you may not have tried before. One way to make your polenta more flavorful and hearty is by adding mushrooms and caramelized onions for a new twist on an Italian classic!
Polenta with Mushrooms and Caramelized Onions Recipe
A luxurious Polenta with Mushrooms and Caramelized Onions recipe, which pairs creamy polenta with flavorful caramelized onions and mushrooms.
- 1 ½ cup Polenta
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes, cut into quarters
- ½ Eggplant, diced
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese, dry
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- Olive Oil, extra virgin, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Heat 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add diced eggplant and cook until tender. Add water when needed.
- Add cherry tomatoes and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Set aside
- In a tall and narrow pot, bring chicken broth to a boil over medium heat.
- Whisk in the polenta and stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Reduce the heat and cook, frequently stirring, until it thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in cherry tomatoes and eggplant. Stir gently to combine.
- Transfer the polenta into a greased baking sheet and spread it evenly with a spatula.
- Let it cool at room temperature.
- Use a knife to make rectangle polenta cakes.
- Transfer them onto a bigger lined baking sheet and sprinkle with shredded dry mozzarella and grated Parmigiano.
- Top with some halved cherry tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F until the cheese has melted.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Serve warm.
- You can enhance the flavors by adding more stir-fried vegetables like onions and peppers.
Calories: 341kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 1042mg | Potassium: 519mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 538IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 186mg | Iron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Please rate it above!
If you like this post, then we definitely recommend checking out our Polenta Veggie Cakes recipe post.